- This event has passed.
Strengthening Families: Living with Mental Illness | Ask the Social Worker
September 12, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
The Michael K. Popkin, MD Psychiatry Family Resource Center is pleased to offer a six session educational series entitled, “Strengthening Families: Living with Mental Illness”. Each session covers a specific topic in mental health and is designed to provide important and useful information to families caring for an individual recovering from mental illness.
The first session, titled “Ask The Social Worker”, features a panel of highly experienced psychiatric social workers and a case manager who will take questions from the audience.
We encourage attendees to bring questions to ask the panel, who will provide professional direction and feedback. Our goal is to make families’ journeys a little less difficult by providing information and tools to navigate through an often complex system. We hope to empower attendees with a better sense of:
• The role(s) of a psychiatric social worker in case management and assisting in the process of recovery
• Available community programs, public policies and government and private agencies designed to help people recovering from mental illness
Topics covered in the session will include but are not limited to:
• Systems and rules: how to navigate the labyrinth of government systems for assistance, medical care, employment, housing, income qualifications, etc.
• Insurance issues: types of insurance policies and insurance networks
• Public programs and housing options
• Eligibility for programs
• Important terms and their definitions
• Options for family support: NAMI and other community support
• Additional resources and their availability: employment, education, funding sources, medical options, etc.
Rachel Saturn, MSW, Senior Social Worker, HCMC Inpatient Psychiatry
Lindley Braaten, B.A., Case Manager, Project HOPE, First Episode Psychosis Program, HCMC
Gretchen Vanderlin-Wang, MSW, Senior Social Worker, HCMC Adult Psychiatry Outpatient Clinic
Gerald Tyrrell, Senior Social Worker, Hennepin County Mental Health, Civil Commitment Specialist
Karen Clement, MSE, Social Work Unit Supervisor and Panel Moderator